The foundation of the distillery in Saint-Louisis dated the 22nd July 1907 in Basel when the constructors Broggi and Appiani filed a request for a construction site on behalf of the family Branca from Milan and the construction plans of the Italian architect G. Merlini with the mayor of Saint-Louis. Permission is issued by the mayor Jules Tiger on 25 July. They construct an impressive building of 50 meters length along the railways on 2 rue du Ballon. In 1909 the distillery starts to distil a bitter liqueur called “Fernet Branca” which is named after its inventor Dr Fernet, medical doctor and botanist, and Branca, the factory's owner. Dr Fernet produced a powder which was turned into liqueur by Bernardino Branca. The basement is reserved for massive oak barrels, which are locally produced by the Strasburg-based cooper Rudolph Fruhinsholz for the liquor's storage. The distillery of Saint-Louis is going to produce around 300,000 bottles annually.