Back to top

Schloss Heidelberg

Truly romantic: The world-famous ruins
History and tradition
Castles, gardens, monasteries
Heidelberg
Germany
Schloss Heidelberg
Schloss Heidelberg
Schloss Heidelberg
Heidelberg Castle is one of the Germany's most important cultural monuments. It experienced a grand and eventful history as the royal seat of the Electors of the Palatinate from the 13th to the 18th century. Over the centuries the bustling building activity of the Palgraves resulted in an ensemble of representative palace and garden art with great artistic achievements in the style of the Renaissance. Heidelberger Castle proudly stands high above the old town center on a granite base below the "Königstuhl" (King's Chair), the so-called "Jettenbühl", at the outlet of the Neckar River Valley.

Following the destruction of the palace in the War of Palatinate Succession (1688-1697), Electors Johann Wilhelm, Karl Philipp and Karl Theodor carried out various restoration measures, although the royal seat had been moved to Mannheim beginning in 1720. A lightning strike in 1764 and the major fire that followed once again reduced the palace to ashes. Since the 19th century Heidelberg has been famous the world over for the romantic appearance of its palace ruins.

Guided tours help visitors orient themselves in the complex. In the Ruprecht's Building (Ruprechtsbau) a Lapidarium and several exhibitions provide information on the castle's history.


With Museum Pass: free entry to the Palace court, including guided tour of the palace.
Please notice: the utilization of the cable car is not included!
Address

Schloss Heidelberg

Schlosshof 1
69117
Heidelberg
Germany
+49(0)62 21.65 888-0
Opening hours
Open all year from
Monday - Sunday: 9:00-18:00

49.410620683704, 8.7153071165085