Musée de la Tour aux Puces
History and tradition
The Musée de la Tour aux Puces is located in the historical centre of Thionville and invites visitors to enjoy a tour through its impressive architectonical building. Comprehensive archaeological collections with objects discovered in the region of Thionville are presented in a modern, scientific way which combines clarity with pedagogy. Visitors learn about the lifestyles of locals from prehistoric times until the Renaissance. The “Tour aux Puces” (“Flea Tower”) tower with its 14 corners on the outside is the former keep of the castle which was constructed in the 11th century by the Count of Luxemburg. TheMuseum ofLocal History has been located in this tower since 1905. The name is linked to several local tales, such as a story about a princess who was eaten by fleas or a legend that claims that Charlemagne's dogs were buried there.