Back to top

Botanischer Garten Karlsruhe

Castles and gardens
Karlsruhe
Germany
--- CLOSED UNTIL SPRING 2017 ---

It is considered to be a green oasis in the midst of the city of Karlsruhe with its residential palace - the Botanical Garden (Botanischer Garten). Located to the west of Karlsruhe Palace, it is screened off from the hustle and bustle of the city by the historical buildings Orangery (Orangerie), Greenhouses (Gewächshäuser), Winter Garden (Wintergarten) and Art Gallery (Kunsthalle), as well as by the modern building of the German Federal Constitutional Court (Bundesverfassungsgericht).

It owes its founding to the penchant of Margrave Karl Wilhelm of Baden-Durlach (1679-1738) for gardening. His successor also continued the gardening tradition. In the early 19th century the Botanical Garden was moved from its original place in front of the palace according to plans by Friedrich Weinbrenner to its current location west of the palace. In the mid-19th century this complex underwent extensive alterations. The Orangery, Palm House (Palmenhaus) and other buildings were rebuilt by Heinrich Hübsch. These buildings, which are partially provided with an impressive iron structure, have mainly been preserved until today. They hold plants which fascinate plant lovers due to their rarity, their growth rate, their magnificent colors or their age. Outdoors several rare trees from the 19th century, which are mixed with new plantings to form an attractive ensemble, can also be admired.
Botanischer Garten Karlsruhe
Botanischer Garten Karlsruhe
Botanischer Garten Karlsruhe
Opening hours

--- CLOSED UNTIL SPRING 2017 ---
Address
Botanischer Garten Karlsruhe
Hans-Thoma-Straße 6
76131
Karlsruhe
Germany
+49 721 926 30 08

49.013076, 8.398668