Back to top

Musée des Beaux-Arts

History and tradition
Others
Lons-le-Saunier
France
The Museum of Fine Arts in Lons-le-Saunier was founded by the “Société d'Emulation” in Jura in 1817. This museum, supported mainly by generous donations, was first housed in a room of the prefecture until 1851 when it was moved to a wing of the city hall. The museum is now divided into two sections – a collection of sculptures on the ground floor and a collection of paintings on the first floor. A room on the first floor is also devoted to temporary exhibitions.

The museum possesses over 600 sculptures, focusing on works from the 19th century. The collection of paintings contains several masterpieces representing the Nordic, Italian and French schools. The museum also displays paintings from the 18th century. A vitrine is devoted to ethnographic, extra-European collections that were donated to the museum by private persons who lived in the former French colonies of the 19th century.
Musée des Beaux-Arts
Musée des Beaux-Arts
Musée des Beaux-Arts
Opening hours

TUE-FRI 14.00-17.00
SAT, SUN, holidays 14.00-18.00
Closed: MON, 1/01, 1/05, 25/12


Address
Musée des Beaux-Arts
Place Philibert de Chalon
39000
Lons-le-Saunier
France
+33 3 84 47 64 30

46.675889, 5.553795